Post by Dematerialiser on May 8, 2009 8:21:41 GMT 1
LOL! Thanks Jon - perhaps there's a market for a post-cap shop! I basically got squares of wood cut to the right overall size, clamped it to the workbench and marked out the indentations for the beading in pencil, then jigsawed out the bits I didn't need. Glued/nailed some beading in, bit of wood filler to finish it and a quick sand, that's it really
PS: they're larger than they seem, as I have wide corner posts - 125mm wide (EDIT: the caps, not the post..!), but the best way to sort them out for your build is to do what I did and make a paper template and test fit it to the tops of your posts first.
Post by Dematerialiser on Jul 12, 2009 23:39:37 GMT 1
Today's been a bit of a milestone - I got my family over to make tea and help me carry stuff (thanks everyone!) and finally moved my build outside.
The main thing with having the build in the garage is that I couldn't continue with the paintwork (not to mention not being able to fit the roof I'd built to see if it did actually fit... )
First things first - we moved all the parts outside:
Then the walls went up. Thankfully the bolt system and corner-post brackets made this easier:
Then the dreaded roof-fitting. I could have sworn that by placing the wood I'd cut for the lower-stage onto the actual build and testing that it fitted (with 2mm at each end to play with) that it would simply slot into place with some leeway to spare - but no. Whether it was the added thickness of the glue, primer and paint I don't know - but it was a hammer and chisel job on one corner to get the roof to fit..
And then the windows. They've been silconed in place with dark-blue silicone frame sealant, and I used brass plates to pin them in place from the inside:
And here's a slightly different angle (the camera's flash went off on this one, as it was getting late)
Looks a bit glossy 'cos of the flash - it's satin weathershield, but I might still go with matt emulsion topcoat
Oh, and the post caps went on when it was too dark for photos - I knew I'd almost forget to fit them :-)
Things took a while longer than I thought because I had to route a reinforced power cable into the trapdoor in the Tardis base by taking up a deckboard and cutting joists. I also fitted 10mm glides to the base to give it some breathing room underneath - with the added benefit of being able to push the Tardis (2 people..) several feet without making a mark.
I also used brackets inside to mount the signboxes, pin the thing to the deck and to hold the roof in place - all these little bits took more time than I expected.
Anyway - now that it's in-situ I can put on more sealant, paint again, and put on a weathering effect. Then it's signs, lock, a few bolts here and there, lighting and sound effects. Oh, and I had my first beer in seven months as a reward - can't possibly let a 4 year project get to this stage without a beer! ;D
"Gosh, that takes me back. Or forward. That's the trouble with time travel; you can never remember."
Post by Dematerialiser on Jul 31, 2009 21:19:14 GMT 1
Another update - this time it's signs.
I got my pull-to-open artwork cut from adhesive vinyl and applied it to an aluminium sheet which I'd spray-painted. You can't see in the picture (it's a borrowed camera after my own broke last week) but it's a combination of antique-white, white and a hint of brushed nickel around the edges:
I'll weather it more later, but it's in place now with magnetic tape:
And after much hassle with spacing and alignments in the signboxes, I got my top signs blue-siliconed and screwed in place:
Sorry about the quality of these pics. The build is actually straight and square, but the camera I borrowed tends to distort things and doesn't do low-ish light too well. In fact all the photo's look kind of 'flat' to me - but hey ho. I'll sort out a better one when the build's totally finished.
So, to do: a bit more sealant on the whole thing, a final re-paint in blue, followed by weathering effects, handles and lock. Then it's on to the lighting and sound.