Post by Four Mad Men on May 29, 2007 6:01:50 GMT 1
I was directed here by a couple of gentlemen over at Outpost Gallifrey. I'm a long time Doctor Who fan, starting watching during the Pertwee era.
As a prelude to my 1:1 scale build scheduled for next year I am currently working on a 1:8 scale Police Box. Most of what you see has been made over the course of this past weekend.
I have since built the "Police Box" sign lintels but have not taken any new pictures. I had hoped to take some tonight but did not get a chance. Instead here is basically where I'm at with the build up.
Prior to making even this small build I modeling everything in 3D just as it would be built physically. I am using that to pull the dimensions and it has really has saved me a lot of extra work.
When complete I plan for it to look something like this.
Post by Four Mad Men on May 29, 2007 17:02:00 GMT 1
Yes I like the white too. I'll probably go with the blue for this one but have pretty much decided to make my 1:1 build with windows that can open and will make them white on one side and blue on the other. So I can reverse them.
This model will be lit. A light bulb on top and probably LEDs on the inside for the sign boxes and the phone door text. Windows will use either an LED or a light bulb depending on how the light looks.
I can also make a timer circuit for the top lamp but I probably won't do that unless I can also find a sound chip to go along with it.
Post by Four Mad Men on Jun 2, 2007 22:34:47 GMT 1
I originally cut part of the sign boxes freehand on the bandsaw to give it a beat-up/handcrafted look but decided I didn't like them, so I've made a new set using the tablesaw and they look much better. Still no pictures yet, it's getting hard to assemble with tape.
New work just completed (still dusty as I type this) are all the vertical wall/door trim pieces. I really should do the horizontal trim pieces but next I think I will make the roof with some scrap MDF I have around the shop. Maybe that will help in getting it assembled for some pictures.
Post by Four Mad Men on Jun 17, 2007 6:33:43 GMT 1
My plan for using some scrap MDF for the roof fell apart when I cut the smaller roof piece. I first cut the larger bottom section then proceeded to cut it down into the smaller upper section. Oops. One nice piece of MDF shot.
Works out well enough this way as going back to the original plan allows for a hollow roof. Which is where I planned on putting the batteries anyway so they don't take up space in the interior.
So I've created the lower piece out of mitered stock (like a box with no bottom or top). The height of this section is going to be 17/32". The mitered frame stands now at 16/32" (1/2" to you an me) and I'll be laminating a 1/32" top to it. Which is what the top of the roof will rest on. After lamination I'll add some corner braces for the top part of the roof so the 1/32" laminate won't sag over time.
And speaking of the upper roof... I have also cut this piece which is now ready to be beveled. I need to make a jig for doing this cut so I don't loose any fingers. In fact half of the jig is complete and the rest I'll make tomorrow (well today really as it's already 1:30).
Making the roof has really been a way to avoid gluing all the wall/door trim work but I'll start in on that as well. If I can get enough time before the weekend is over (and if I don't spend it all in the pool) I might just have a finished box (sans the clear plastic pieces and door hardware) by next weekend.
Post by Four Mad Men on Jun 18, 2007 5:16:05 GMT 1
Some quick pics. Forgot the flash on one of them so I had to brighten it manually:
I cut a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood so I could hold the bottoms of the posts apart with the rubberband. So you can pretty much see what is left to do. Mostly consisting of gluing the trim I've already cut.